Tuesday, June 12, 2018

This Is How We Do It: One Day in the Lives of Seven Kids from Around the World


This Is How We Do It: One Day in the Lives of Seven Kids from around the World









Lamothe, Matt. (2017). This Is How We Do It: One Day in the Lives of Seven Kids from Around the World. San Francisco, CA: Chronicle Books LLC.
52 Pages, Grades PreK-3, Picture/Biography, ISBN 978-1452150185.  

What would it be like to live in another country? What would you eat, where would you sleep, and where would you go to school?  This book sheds some light on the lives of seven children from different countries around the world.  It goes through their typical day from waking up, what they wear, eating, going to school, and much more.  Are some of these children like you? Do you have things in common with them? This book ends with a similar experience that all these children have in common which helps us to know that although we may live in different places and live very different lives, there are still things that can connect us.  

I really enjoyed this book.  I feel like any child would love to look at the pages and illustrations of the different countries that this book represents.  However, I felt that this book jumped around a lot.  I found it challenging to go through the book read about each culture individually and learn more about each.  I felt that there is too much information about each culture skewed throughout the book that it made it hard to follow.  I found myself reaching the end and forgetting what I had learned about any one particular culture because there were too many to focus on at once.  I think that it is a great idea and that focusing on one culture and story at a time would better suit learning than this format.  Other than that I felt that the book was very informative on the lifestyles of the children and their families in the cultures. 

No comments:

Post a Comment