Monday, March 19, 2018

Out of Wonder: Poems Celebrating Poets


Alexander, K with Colderly, C. & Wentworth, M. (2017). Out of Wonder Poems Celebrating Poets. Somerville, Massachusetts: Candlewick Press.

50 pages, Grades 3-9, Picture Book/Poetry, ISBN 978-0763680947

Out of Wonder is a wonderful collection of poems written by the authors to celebrate 20 poets from around the world.  The creators carefully crafted each poem in the style of the poet they are celebrating and sometimes about a similar topic. Famous poets being celebrated include: e.e.cummings, Rumi, Langston Hughes and Emily Dickinson. Six informational pages of Biographies, of the celebrated authors, are listed in the appendix. The illustrations use mixed media to inspire the artist within us.

One of my favorite poets is Robert Frost.  Marjory Wentworth wrote the poem In Every Season to celebrate Frost.   She used the same landscape topics he wrote about. Her poem is fine but does not have the same flow as Frost’s style.I still enjoyed it.  Some of the poems brought tears to my eyes.  They were personal and beautiful.  I also enjoyed refreshing my knowledge about these poets by reading the biographies. I may even write a poem soon, or at least share one of these with my family.

Reviewed by Angela C LeSuer

No comments:

Post a Comment